Knitting in the Archive of Art & Design
The Victoria and Albert Museum runs the Archive of Art and Design from a base in west London. The Archives collects documents related to firms and individuals who worked in the creative industries. They have a small collection of documents from people who designed knitting or who taught it or practiced it. The collection is strong on people active in the mid 20th century.
- Eileen Calvert, knitter and needlewoman: collection, about 1930-86.
- Elizabeth Davenport, knitwear designer: papers, 1937-88.
- Ephemera Collections: patterns for crochet, embroidery, knitwear and sewing, 1885- about 1979.
- Ethel Garnham, crocheter, knitter and seamstress: collection, about 1930-51.
- Ramah Judah, embroiderer and knitter: collection, 1918- about 1949.
- Knitting Patterns: about 1939- about 1959.
- Eve Sandford, knitting designer: albums, 1961-9.
Contact detailsBlythe House
23 Blythe Road
Tel: +44 (0)20 7942 2303
Contact us online