National Art Library Latest News
This month’s Facebook post focuses on the 1754 edition of Thomas Chippendale’s The Gentleman and Cabinet- Maker’s Director which was recently featured in the BBC Four Handmade in Britain season.
Further information is available on the NAL’s historic and contemporary trade literature collections
Some collection items temporarily unavailable
Pressmarks 212-269 will be temporarily unavailable until 31 March. This is due to essential refurbishment work that is taking place in our stores. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Recent changes to your services
- Book ordering limits have increased from 6 to 8.
- Book collections from the stores are now on the hour instead of on the half hour throughout the day, including from our Crypt store.
- Last requests to consult material on the same day is now 16.00 (except Fridays when last requests are now 16.30).
- Requests placed before 09.00 will be ready for collection by 10.30 each day.
- Special collection items are now consulted in the Centre Room.
- We now have a ‘no bags’ policy and request that you leave all bags in the cloakrooms at Museum entrances.
- The reference collection has been updated and re-arranged.
- We no longer offer a staffed telephone enquiry service, but please continue to Contact us online with your enquiries.
Library landing displays
Collecting Abroad for the V&A, 1851-1914
2 October 2012 - 26 May 2013
Library Landing, Room 85
This display uses rarely-seen personal accounts and official records to tell stories of five intrepid agents whose mission was to find and buy the best of world art and design for the V&A. Henry Cole and Richard Redgrave (Italy), Robert Murdoch Smith (Iran), Caspar Purdon Clarke (Turkey) and Charles Wylde (China).
Current V&A exhibition catalogue
A copy of the catalogue of the headline V&A exhibition is now available for reference at the Library entrance and at the counter.
National Art Library opening times
The National Art Library opening times are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday: 10.00 – 17.30 and Friday: 10.00 – 18.30. It is closed on Mondays and Sundays