New galleries for sculpture 1300–1600, 2010
Rooms 16a, 25 - 27, located to the east of the John Madejski Garden, were transformed into beautiful new spaces for the display of stained glass and European sculpture dating from 1300 - 1600AD. The project was supported by a generous grant from the DCMS/Wolfson Foundation Museum and Galleries Improvement Fund.
The new display of predominantly painted wooden sculpture from Germany, the Netherlands, France, Italy and Spain complements the Museums displays of European and Asian sculpture.
The renovation saw the galleries reopen in November 2010 with the historic architecture restored and the mosaic flooring reinstated.
The gallery designer was Celine Dalcher from the V&A's Design Department. Since joining the Museum in 2007 Celine has worked on a range of FuturePlan projects including The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Galleries.
This development was completed as part of FuturePlan
FuturePlan is transforming the V&A by revitalising visitor facilities and redisplaying the collections. Using the best architects and designers, we are bringing the V&A into the 21st century and restoring modern design and innovation to the heart of the museum.