Played in Britain: Michael Billington on the Missing Plays
The V&A's Played in Britain app highlights 100 British plays from 1945 - 2010. Plays that created a contemporary stir, either by provoking public outcry, or by breaking new ground.
However, such a rich period of theatrical history produced far more plays than could fit into one app. In the videos below, Guardian theatre critic Michael Billington comments on the selection and suggests ten additional plays that he might have included...
1. Accolade, Emlyn Williams, 1950
2. Sargent Musgrave's Dance, John Arden, 1958
3. The Birthday Party, Harold Pinter, 1958
4. Black Comedy, Peter Shaffer, 1965
5. A Day in the Death of Joe Egg, Peter Shaffer, 1965
6. The Philanderers, Christopher Hampton, 1971
7. Noises Off, Michael Frayn, 1982
8. Run for Your Wife, Ray Cooney, 1983
9. A Small Family Business, Alan Ayckbourn, 1987