- The Virtual Museum of Japanese Arts
Excellent interactive tours around the many forms of Japanese art, from painting and sculpture to Karate and calligraphy.
- TOKYO NATIONAL MUSEUM HOME
View some enlarged images of oriental calligraphy, armour, figurines and many other intriguing objects.
- Japanese Prints: The Dutch in Nagasaki
An online exhibition of rare Japanese woodblock prints depicting Dutch and other foreign traders in Nagasaki in the 19th century.
- Pitt Rivers Museum - The Japanese Collections
The Japanese collections of the Oxford museum, with a page devoted to the collection of masks from the 'Noh' theatre tradition.
- Metadata database of Japanese old photographs in Bakumatsu-Meiji Period
An searchable online database of photographs taken during the Bakumatsu-Meiji Period (1860-1899), revealing the modernisation of Japan.
- MUSEUM INFORMATION JAPAN
A page listing the many hundreds of museums in Japan, with links to their individual websites.
- 京都国立博物館 | Kyoto National Museum
Includes the Museum Dictionary, a young person’s guide to the collections of the museum; an excellent resource for both teachers and children with interesting facts and stories about the objects.
- Stanford University - JGuide Directory - Home
The Stanford University Guide to Japan information sources provides a directory of websites, many in English, related to Japanese culture, society and history.
- bajs.org.uk - Home
Listings of organisations around the world related to Japanese Studies, with links to their websites
- e-Kokuho - National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties...
Images of paintings, documents, calligraphy and many objects from the Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara National Museums; don't be deterred by the introductory page as there are instructions in several languages if you follow the links.