When the Apothecaries separated from the Grocers in 1617, the newly founded society had no hall or meeting place. In 1632, having gathered sufficient funds, they purchased the former guesthouse of the Dominican Priory in Blackfriars. The society immediately began a programme of improvements, furnishing and decorating the building in keeping with the status of a Livery Company. It was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666, but was rebuilt on the same site between 1668 and 1672. The Hall has essentially remained unchanged since that time, becoming the oldest extant Livery Hall in the City and a scheduled ancient monument. Members will be given a private tour of the building and its collection of paintings, silver and impressive array of apothecaries’ drug jars and pill tiles.
The Great Hall set for dinner © The Society of Apothecaries