Marlborough House stands on Pall Mall, just east of St James’s Palace. It was designed by architect Sir Christopher Wren for Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, confidante of Queen Anne, and was completed in 1711. Since then Marlborough House has been the town residence of five Dukes and Duchesses of Marlborough, three dowager Queens, three Princes of Wales, the future Kings Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII, and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, before he became King of the Belgians. Today it serves as the International Headquarters of the Commonwealth, housing both the Commonwealth Secretariat and Commonwealth Foundation.
Marlborough House © Commonwealth Secretariat