The wooden construction set pictured was originally designed at the Bauhaus school in Germany by Alma Siedhoff-Buscher in 1923, who had designed brightly coloured, functional furniture and toys for a nursery room in the ‘Haus am Horn’, a show house designed by Georg Muche and built for the Wiemar Bauhaus exhibition in 1923. Each room in the house had specially designed furnishings and hardware created in the Bauhaus workshops.

Set up in 1919, the Bauhaus school had a massive influence upon subsequent developments in art, architecture and modern design. The set was manufactured in Switzerland in 1988.