25 February – 8 July 2012

Originally inspired by the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Museum building began its move east from South Kensington in 1867, where the iron frame was dismantled section by section and transported across London by teams of horse-drawn carts.

To mark the building’s 140th anniversary, a small display of photographs documented the construction of the building, at its original site in South Kensington and in Bethnal Green, where it stands today.

Download a 140th Anniversary press release