The 85-metre tower is the last remaining part of the magnificent Imperial Institute that was founded as an outcome of the Colonial Exhibition of 1886. Despite the quality of Colcutt’s building, the Institute was never successful and it was demolished in the 1950s and 1960s to make way for Imperial College. Originally, there were three copper-roofed Renaissance-style towers, but only this one survives, its the base and foundations reinforced to enable it to be free-standing. Although it appears relatively hidden away at street level, the Queen’s Tower remains the tallest building in the district. On royal anniversaries, bells named after Queen Victoria and her children are rung from the tower.