This colonnade is from an early 17th-century royal pavilion in the palace at Ajmer, India. The Mughal emperor Akbar built the original fort and palace at Ajmer in 1570. However, the pavilion from which this colonnade originates is thought to date from the time of his son Jahangir, who reigned from 1605 to 1627.
At the top of the columns are S-shaped brackets with pendant lotus buds. These come from the wooden brackets that were traditionally used in Indian architecture. Above the brackets are expanding tiered capitals that derive from Near Eastern prototypes.
The brackets gave a decorative effect to the courtyards, while the overhanging eaves served as a protection from the fierce sun and monsoon rain.