Brass, cast and mounted with glass
Birmingham, England; 1846
Designed by A.W.N. Pugin (1812-52); made by Hardman & Co.
This magnificent six-light candelabrum was part of a series designed by AWN Pugin in 1846. A fine example of the Gothic Revival style, which Pugin championed, it may have been designed to go in the rebuilt Houses of Parliament. It was made by Pugin's preferred manufacturer, the Birmingham firm of John Hardman and Co. This was one of the Museum's early purchases, bought from the Great Exhibition in 1851 where Pugin designed the Medieval Court. The Museum paid £7 for it and catalogued it as 'English, modern'.