Grand piano

Pianos made in Vienna from about 1800 were prized for their sweet tone and light action. They were often fitted, as this one is, with a number of pedals,which activated special musical effects such as drums and bells, used in popular arrangements of martial music. This piano was made between about 1815 and 1820 by Georg Haschka (1772-1828), who owned a small workshop in Vienna. It was later the property of Sir William Quiller Orchardson R.A. (1832-1910), an eminent Scottish painter, who included it in his picture, A Tender Chord.