Grand piano

This grand piano was built in about 1870 by the leading English firm of Robert Wornum & Son for Sir Henry Cole (1808-1882), the first director of the South Kensington (now Victoria & Albert) Museum. James Gamble (1837-1911), who was responsible for much of the decoration of the museum between 1866 and 1889, designed the case of this piano, and his motifs include early musical instruments that had been acquired for the Museum under Cole's directorship. This instrument was exhibited at the International Exhibition held in London in 1871.