Purchased from Giovanni Lelli in 1899 for £1 16s 1d
Workshop of Agostino di Duccio (1418-d. before 1498)
In the church of S. Francesco, known as the Tempio Malatestiano, at Rimini, Italy
This is one of a series of 18 panels depicting the Arts and Sciences in the chapel of S. Gaudenzio.
The church of S. Francesco was remodelled for Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta in the 1450s to the design of Leon Battista Alberti (1404-72). While Matteo de' Pasti (about 1420-d. after 1467) is recorded as the architect of the interior by an inscription on the right hand side of the nave, Agostino di Duccio directed the sculptural decoration, and is recorded in a complementary inscription on the left of the nave: OPVS AVGVSTINI FLORENTINI LAPICIDAE. Agostino's presence in Rimini is documented from 1449 until 1457.