Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen, Gipsformerei, Berlin in 1893
The Virgin and Child with two angels
Bartolomeo Bellano (1437/8-1496/7)
About 1461 or 19th century
Terracotta with gilding
Bode Museum, Berlin, Germany
The original relief in Berlin was cast from a lunette-shaped relief in the Quincy A. Shaw Collection in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston signed OPVS BARTOLOMEVS BELANI and dated 1461. In order to adjust it to a rectangular format, the cast in Berlin was made up at the sides and cut down at the top. It was purchased in Florence in 1889 and given to the Museum in Berlin by Karl von der Heydt. The existence of two other casts in terracotta is known, and it is uncertain whether these, together with the cast in Berlin, date from the 15th or the 19th century.