By the Embriachi workshop
Italy (possibly Florence)
Wood inlaid with marquetry of ebony and bone plaques
Museum no. A.20-1952
Given by Dr W.L. Hildburgh FSA
A pax was used at the end of mass as part of the 'Kiss of Peace' ritual. First the priest would kiss it, then the members of the congregation. The Embriachi family and their workshops continued to produce bone carvings into the 15th century, though ivory carving was then on the wane.