Purchased from Carlo Campi in 1895 for £47 5s 3d (1250 lire)
Monument of Jacopo Stefano Brivio
Begun by Francesco Cazzaniga (active 1467-86) and completed by his brother Tommaso Cazzaniga (active 1481-1504) and Benedetto Briosco
Church of S. Eustorgio, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
On 13 May 1486, the sons of the deceased man, Jacopo Stefano Brivio (d. 1484) commissioned Tommaso Cazzaniga and Benedetto Briosco to complete the tomb of their father, which had been begun by Francesco Cazzaniga. The monument was to be ready by September, 1488. Above the sarcophagus is a figure of the Virgin and Child, while below this figure is God the Father flanked by two angels. The sides of the sarcophagus are carved with scenes from the Infancy of Christ, from left to right: the Annunciation, Nativity, Adoration of the Magi, Presentation and Flight into Egypt. The bases of the pillars supporting the sarcophagus are decorated with medallions containing classical subjects.