Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen (Gipsformerei, Berlin) in 1899
Matteo Civitali (1436-1501)
On the altar of the Cappella del Sacramento, Lucca Cathedral, Lucca, Italy
The two angels formerly adorned the altar of the Chapel of the Sacrament, commissioned from Matteo Civitali by Domenico Bertini in 1473, which included a marble tabernacle, unfinished in 1476. Shortly after 1567, this altar was dismantled, when construction of a new Chapel of the Sacrament was undertaken in the right transept by Vincenzo Civitali. The angels and tabernacle were moved to the altar of the new chapel, where the angels remain today. After 1581, the tabernacle was replaced by a tabernacle by Vincenzo Civitali. Matteo Civitali's original tabernacle, signed OPVS MATTHAEI CIVITAL, is in now in the Victoria and Albert Museum (museum no. 7569-1861).