Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1890 for 16s (20 lire)
Virgin and Child (Panciatichi Madonna)
Desiderio da Settignano (about 1429-64)
Third quarter of the 15th century
Museo Nazionale (Bargello), Florence, Italy
Formerly thought to be by Donatello (1386-1466), the Panciatichi Madonna has been ascribed to Desiderio since 1887 (Tschudi, Bode). The relief derives its name from the fact that, prior to its arrival in the Bargello, the Panciatichi Madonna was housed in a baroque tabernacle on the corner of the Palazzo Panciatichi on the Via Cavour, in Florence. This cannot have been its original location, as the Palazzo Panciatichi was not built until the mid-17th century. Because it was displayed outside, the surface of the original is in bad condition, and there is also a break on the top left hand corner. There was a painted stucco version of this relief in Berlin, which was destroyed in 1945.