Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1890 for 8s 4d
Virgin and Child
Ascribed to Desiderio da Settignano (about 1429-64)
Third quarter of the 15th century
Galleria Sabauda, Turin, Italy
The original relief was acquired in Florence by the Galleria Sabauda in 1850. At least twelve other versions of this composition exist, made from painted and gilded stucco and dating from the fifteenth century. One of these stucco reliefs, deriving from the Madonna in Turin, is also in the collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum (museum no. 5767-1859).