Purchased via the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York in 1893 for £20 17s 5d
Judith and Holofernes
Third quarter of the 15th century
Palazzo Vecchio, Florence, Italy
The statue and its base were designed as the centre of a fountain, with water spouts in the corner of the pillow. Its earliest known location is the garden of the Palazzo Medici. The inscription on the pedestal was added after the fall of the Medici in 1494, when it was removed first into the Palazzo Vecchio and then placed outside it. The statue was taken back into the Palazzo Vecchio in 1980. the cast of the pedestal is either by Oronzio or Giuseppe Lelli.