Crucifix

Crucifix

Given by J. Sebastian Comper in 1968

Original:

Crucifix
Giambologna (Giovanni Bologna) (1529-1608)
1594-8
Bronze
In the funerary chapel of Giovanni Bologna, the Cappella del Soccorso, in the church of SS. Annunziata, Florence, Italy

Although Giovanni Bologna acquired the rights to the Cappella del Soccorso from the Dolci family in 1559 as his funerary chapel, he only commenced work upon its decoration in 1594, when he was in his sixties. He designed the chapel with great economy, incorporating sculptural compositions which he had originally designed for other locations. The Crucifix is a replica of the Crucifix which Giovanni Bologna had executed of the Duke of Bavaria in 1594 (in St, Michael's Church, Munich), while the six bronze reliefs of the Passion on the altar of the chapel are replicas of those he executed for the Grimaldi Chapel in San Francesco di Castelletto, Genoa, 1579-85 (now in Genoa University). The original cast of the crucifix was made by Belle Art Florence, and cast in bronze by Messrs Singer. Wax models by Giovanni Bologna for three of the six Passion Reliefs are also in the collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum (museum nos. 328 to 330-1879).