Purchased from Edoardo Pierotti in 1869 for £240
Tomb of St Peter Martyr
Giovanni di Balduccio (active 1317/18-49)
Church of Sant' Eustorgio, Milan, Italy
St Peter Martyr was a Dominican friar stabbed to death by a heretic on 26 April, 1252, and canonized by Pope Innocent IV on 24 March, 1253. In 1335, the friars of Sant' Eustorgio decided to honour St Peter Martyr with a tomb similar to that of St Dominic in S. Domenico Maggiore in Bologna, which had been executed to the design of Nicola Pisano between 1264 and 1267. The tomb of St Peter Martyr was completed in 1339 by Giovanni di Balduccio, who signed it 'IOHANNES BALDVCHI DE PISIS SCVLPSIT HANC ARCHAM.ANNO DOMINI MCCCXXXVIII'. In accordance with the friars' intentions, the tomb of this important Dominican saint is based on the tomb of St Dominic, but is more elaborate both in form and content. Parts of the monument were originally painted and gilded. The tomb stands in a chapel behind the apse of Sant' Eustorgio erected by the Medici agent in Milan, Pigello Portinari between 1462 and 1468 to provide a worthy setting for the relics of this saint. The chapel was frescoed with scenes for the life of St Peter Martyr by Biscenzo Foppa between 1462 and 1468.