Purchased from Messrs Franchi and Son together with museum no. 1863-3 in 1863 for £205
Socket for a standard
Alessandro Leopardi (active 1482-1522)
Dated August 1505
Piazza di S. Marco, Venice, Italy
One of three flagstaffs commissioned from Leopardi by Doge Leonardo Loredan (reigned 1501-21). The latter's portrait appears in four medallions on the flagstaff, and he is recorded in the inscription which runs around three bands on the original, but is not reproduced in this copy. It reads: OPTIMO PRINCIPE/LEONARDO LAVREDANO/DVCE VENETIAN. EIVS IIII./PROCVR.ECCLES./S.MARCI./PAVLO BARBO/M.ANTO.MAVROC.EQ/NICOL. TRIVISANO/ANNO DOMINI MCCCCCV MENS.ABG.OPVS ALEXANDRI LEOPARDI ((Given) by the great prince Leonardo Loredan, Doge of Venice in the fourth year of his reign (and supervised by) the procurators of the church of S. Marco, Paulo Barbo., M. Anto. Mauroc., knight, Nicol Trivisano, in the year of Our Lord 1505 in the month of August. The work of Alessandro Leopardi). The three flagstaffs all show the winged lion of St Mark, the emblem of the Venetian Republic, and around their bases are seascapes with classicizing figures. Here, allegorical figures of Wisdom, Charity and Justice are shown riding above the waves with attendants.