Effigy of Guidarello Guidarelli

Effigy of Guidarello Guidarelli

Presented by the Pinacoteca Comunale (Royal Academy of Fine Arts), Ravenna in 1885

Original:

Effigy of Guidarello Guidarelli
Tullio Lombardo (about 1455-1532)
Completed 1525
Marble
Galleria Nazionale, Ravenna, Italy

Guidanello Guidarelli (about 1455-1501) was a condottiere or mercenary leader who was fatally wounded in a quarrel over an elaborate shirt. In his will (1501) he stipulated the conditions for the execution of his tomb, naming a committee of Ravennate humanists to choose the best design from an artist from Florence or Venice on the basis of a preliminary model. It is uncertain when the commission was awarded to Tullio Lombardo, but a final payment was recorded in 1525. The effigy originally surmounted a recut early Christian sarcophagus and stood in the chapel of S. Liberio in the church of S. Francesco in Ravenna. By 1634, the effigy had been removed to the chapel of Braccioforte, and by 1707 the sarcophagus had been appropriated by the descendant of Guidarello, Bartolommeo del Sale, and is now in the left aisle of S. Francesco. Only parts of the architectural surround of the tomb remain in the chapel of S. Liberio, rededicated to the Immaculate Conception.