Acquired in exchange from the Royal Belgian Commission in 1872 for £40
Madonna and child
Church of Notre Dame, Bruges, Belgium
Purchased by Jean and Alexandre Mouscron, cloth merchants of Bruges with establishments in Rome and Florence. They shipped the Madonna to Bruges in 1506. There it was installed on an altar in the church of Notre Dame, and framed by a tabernacle of black and white marble designed by Jan de Heere of Ghent and his son Lucas and completed by 1571.