Purchased from Monsieur Desachy in 1858 for £45
In the tomb of Pope Julius II (Pope 1503-13) in the church of S. Pietro in Vincoli, Rome, Italy
This figure was executed for the second project (1513) for Pope Julius' tomb, and was planned for the second zone, above the right niche of the front. This project was not realised, and the Moses was not completed until 1542. Michelangelo chose the present position for the Moses during the final project of 1542-45. As it was designed for a higher viewpoint, the statue's proportions seem awkward when seen in its present low location in the church.