Purchased from Messrs Elkington & Co in 1884 for £10
The State Hermitage, St Petersburg, Russia
The crouching boy was intended to form part of the decoration of the Medici Chapel in the New Sacristy of the church of San Lorenzo in Florence. A drawing by Michelangelo in the British Museum (Wilde No.27r) shows two similar crouching figures above the entablature on the left of the tomb of Lorenzo de'Medici (the Magnificent) (1449-92). This design was never realised and the crouching boy remained unfinished in the Medici Collection, eventually passing to the Hermitage Collection in 1851.