Purchased from Oronzio Lelli, Florence in 1881 for £50
Lorenzo de'Medici, Duke of Urbino
The Medici Chapel (the New Sacristy) in the church of S. Lorenzo, Florence, Italy
The decoration of the Medici funerary chapel was commissioned from Michelangelo in 1520 by Cardinal Giulio de'Medici, afterwards Pope Clement VII (1478-1534). The figure of Lorenzo (1492-1519) is seated in a niche above his tomb on which recline allegorical figures of Dawn and Dusk. On the opposite wall is the companion figure of Lorenzo's uncle, Giuliano de'Medici, Duke of Nemours (1478-1516), with Night and Day on his tomb.