Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1881 for £50
Giuliano de'Medici, Duke of Nemours
The Medici Chapel (the New Sacristy) in the church of S. Lorenzo, Florence, Italy
The decoration of the Medici funerary chapel was commissioned from Michelangelo in 1520 by Cardinal Giulio de'Medici, afterwards Pope Clement VII (1478-1534). The figure of Giuliano (1479-1516) is seated in a niche above his tomb on which recline allegorical figures of Night and Day. On the opposite wall is the companion figure of Giuliano's nephew, Lorenzo de'Medici, Duke of Urbino (1492-1519), with Dawn and Dusk on his tomb.