Piero di Cosimo de'Medici

Piero di Cosimo de'Medici

Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen (Gipsformerei, Berlin) in 1899

Original:

Piero di Cosimo de'Medici
Mino da Fiesole (1429-84)
1453
Marble
Museo Nazionale (Bargello), Florence, Italy

Piero di Medici (1416-69), nicknamed 'the Gouty', was the father of Lorenzo the Magnificent, and unofficial ruler of Florence from 1464-69. The diamond rings on the borders of his tunic (gamurra) are a Medicean device, symbolising strength and fidelity. The original location of the bust may have been the Medici Palace, as a bust of Piero is recorded in the 1492 inventory.