Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen (Gipsformerei, Berlin) in 1886 for £7 10s (150 marks)
Mino da Fiesole (1429-84)
Third quarter of the 15th century
Church of S. Croce, Florence, Italy
Recorded by BOCCHI (1677) as being in the Convent of the Murate in Florence. In 1815, it was transferred from the cloister of that Convent to the Sacristy of S. Croce. The two inscriptions HIC EST PANIS VIVVS Q DECELO DESCENDIT (Here is the Living Bread which descends from Heaven) O SALVTARIS HOSTIA (O Host of Salvation) refer to the Host kept in the tabernacle behind the central door. It is this Host, symbolic of Christ's sacrifice upon the Cross, promising redemption, which the angels are adoring. Signed OPVS MINI.