Purchased from Raphael Pinti in 1869 for £12
Maffeo Olivieri (1484-1543/4)
Bronze inlaid with silver
Basilica di San Marco, Venice, Italy
One of a pair. The original is inscribed on two inlaid silver bands, not reproduced in this cast, which read: MAPHEVS OLIVIERIVS BRIXIANVS FACIEBAT and ALTOBELLVS AVEROLDVS BRIXIANVS EPIS.POLEN. VENET./ APOSTOLICVS DEO OPT. MAX. DEDICAVIT. The inscriptions relate that the candelabra were made by Maffeo Olivieri and that they were commissioned by Altobello Averoldo of Brescia, Bishop of Pola and Apostolic Legate in Venice. Marin Sanudo records in his diary that they were presented to San Marco on 24 December, 1527 and placed before the High Altar.