Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen (Gipsformerei, Berlin) for £4 10s (90 marks)
Virgin and child
Giovanni Pisano (about 1250-about 1314)
Scrovegni Chapel in S. Maria dell'Arena, Padua, Italy
Signed DEO GRATIAS OPVS IOHIS MAGISTRI NICOLI DE PISIS (By the Grace of God, the work of Giovanni the son of Master Nicolo from Pisa). The Scrovegni chapel is the funerary chapel of Enrico Scrovegni, a wealthy merchant banker of Padua. The foundation stone of the chapel was laid in 1303 and in 1305 the chapel was consecrated. Between 1303 and 1312/13 Giotto decorated the Scrovegni chapel with frescoes depicting scenes from the New Testament. Giovanni Pisano's Virgin and Child stands on the altar, between two angels from the workshop of this sculptor.