The Annunciation

The Annunciation

Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1888 for £26 7s (2000 lire). This was the total for three copies: one each for Museums at South Kensington, Edinburgh and Dublin.

Original:

Annunciation
Andrea della Robbia (1435-1525)
Second half of 15th century
Glazed terracotta
In the Ospedale di S. Maria degli Innocenti, Florence, Italy above the door leading from the courtyard to the chapel of the Hospital

The Annunciation, mistakenly attributed to Luca della Robbia (1399/1400-82), is recorded by Vasari (1550) in the Cappella de' Pugliesi, in the Hospital, above an altarpiece by Piero di Cosimo (b. 1402; d.1521(?)). This altarpiece, depicting the Madonna and Child with four Saints, was removed from the Pugliesi chapel during redecoration in 1786, and is now in the Gallery of the Hospital. As the Annunciation is recorded in its present location by 1790, it is likely that it too was moved in 1786.