Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1883 for £32
Luca della Robbia (1399/1400-1482)
Extant by 1445
Church of S. Giovanni Fuoricivitas, Pistoia, Italy
The group is thought to have existed before 1445, when a sum was donated to the sodality (religious guild) of the Visitation for an oil lamp to be burnt before the figure of 'the Virgin of the Visitation'. A tabernacle was placed over the sculpture in 1513/14. The figures are glazed in white, with the irises picked out in colour, while the hair, together with the borders of the garments, bears traces of gilding. The lower halves of the figures have been damaged and made up.