Monument to Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole

Monument to Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole

Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen (Gipsformerei, Berlin) in 1888 for £20 (400 marks)

Original:

Monument to Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole
Luca della Robbia (1399/1400-1482)
1454-7
Marble and glazed terracotta
Church of S. Trinità, Florence, Italy

The tomb for Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole (d. 1450), was commissioned for the north wall of the transept beside the Federighi chapel in the church of S. Pancrazio, where it was set high in the wall. It was moved to near the side door, then removed to the Federighi chapel of S. Francesco di Paola, and was only set up in its present location in 1896. The main part of the tomb is of marble, while the frieze of flowers around it is of terracotta enamelled in colours over a layer of gold leaf.