Angel with candlestick

Angel with candlestick

Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1890 for £3 4s (80 lire)

Original:

Angel with candlestick
Luca della Robbia (1399/1400-1482)
15th century
White-glazed terracotta
Florence Cathedral, Florence, Italy

The angels were commissioned in June 1448 to flank a tabernacle, now lost, in the Chapel of the Sacrament established in 1446 in the north tribune of Florence Cathedral, and in February 1449 wooden wings were provided for them which have since disappeared. Covered with a plain white glaze with the eyes and eyebrows only picked out in blue, they were decorated on the borders of their dress with surface painting and gilding.