The Nativity

The Nativity

Acquired in exchange from the former Königlichen Museen (Gipsformerei, Berlin) in 1888 for £5 (100 marks)

Original:

The Nativity
Antonio Rossellino (1427/8; d. 1479)
Third quarter of the 15th century
Marble
Museo Nazionale (Bargello), Florence, Italy

There are no documents relating to the commission or original location of this relief and it is ascribed to Antonio Rossellino on stylistic grounds. It was purchased for the Bargello in 1815 from Avvocato Raffaello Maldura. In 1837-44, the Nativity was copied by Lorenzo Bartolini for his monument to Countess Zamoyska in the church of S. Croce, Florence. There is a full-scale nineteenth century marble copy of the Bargello tondo in the State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg. A terracotta variant of the original composition which was formerly in the Königliche Museen in Berlin, was believed at one time to be the model for Rossellino's Nativity.