Purchased from Edoardo Pierotti in 1893 for £20
Cristoforo Solari (active 1489-1520)
Church of the Certosa, Pavia, Italy
Beatrice d'Este (1475-97) was the wife of Ludovico Sforza, known as Il Moro, the Duke of Milan (1452-1508). This effigy formed part of a joint funerary monument to Beatrice and Ludovico, commissioned from Cristoforo Solari after Beatrice's death in January 1497, and completed before Ludovico il Moro fled from Milan in 1499. The original location of the monument was the church of S. Maria delle Grazie in Milan. The effigies were removed to the Certosa in Pavia in 1564, and set up in their present position in 1891. Beatrice's elaborate dress is reminiscent of a description of a dress worn by her in 1493, with alternating bands of velvet and cloth of gold, with lattice work of silver threads.