Purchased from Elkington & Co in 1884 for £80
Boy blowing a trumpet
Ascribed to Pietro Tacca (1577-1640)
The State Hermitage, St Petersburg, Russia
The origin of the bronze, which was acquired for the Hermitage before 1852, is not known. It has been stated that it once surmounted a fountain in Florence, and it has been conjectured that the fountain was the one now in the Victoria and Albert Museum (museum no. 7676-1861) removed from the garden of the Palazzo della Stufa (formerly Casa dell' Antella) in Piazza S. Croce, Florence in 1860. This fountain was described in the seventeenth century as being surmounted by a bronze statue by Giambologna (Giovanni Bologna) (1529-1608). When placed on the fountain recently, this copy did not fit well, and the St Petersburg bronze is clearly not the work of Giovanni Bologna. The fountain must date from after the competition of the Palace in 1619, eleven years after the death of Giovanni Bologna. It is ascribed to his former assistant and successor, Pietro Tacca, to whom the bronze in St Petersburg is in consequence also conjecturally ascribed.