Purchased from Messrs Franchi and Son in 1865 for £66 13s 4d
Tomb of Emperor Henry VII of Luxemburg
Tino da Camaino (about 1280-1337)
Marble, pigmented and gilded
In the right transept of Pisa Cathedral, Pisa, Italy
Henry VII died near Siena on St Bartholomew's Day (August 24th) 1313. His tomb was completed in February 1315 and was completed within the stipulated six months. It was installed in the tribune behind the high altar, but has suffered slow dismemberment through several removals. The original appearance of the monument was far more elaborate than either the cast in the Victoria and Albert Museum, or the present arrangement at Pisa. In both cases, only the effigy and the arcading containing eleven (originally twelve) apostles are preserved in their original relationship. Here, as in Pisa, the inscriptions and the consoles of the lower part date from 1494, when the tomb was removed to the chapel of San Ranieri. In the cast shown here, the lateral saints, Peter and Francis, probably date from the early 15th century and the originals of these figures are now in the Cathedral repository. At Pisa, their place is occupied by an Annunciation group from Tino di Camaino's workshop: the Virgin and Gabriel had been installed on either side of the effigy as early as 1829. The Annunciation may have formed part of the original monument, but would not initially have occupied this position, which most likely held angels drawing back curtains to reveal the effigy.
Among the principal figures which have been identified as belonging to the original scheme are a group comprising the seated figure of Henry VII and four standing Councillors, now in the Camposanto, but which might once have been arranged above the gisant. It has also been established that there was below the tomb a related altar dedicated to St Bartholomew. which might have supported a group by Tino da Camaino including a central Madonna and Child (in the Museo Civico, Pisa) and a figure of St Bartholomew (now in storage in the Cathedral).