Purchased from Herr L. Wolter in 1872 for £37 10s
Andrea del Verrocchio (1435-88)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This candelabrum was commissioned for the chapel of the Sala dell' Udienza in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. Payments to Verrocchio for it are recorded in 1468 and 1469 and a final payment of 20 April, 1480 states that the candelabrum was installed in the chapel by that date. It is inscribed MAGGIO E GIVGNO MCCCCLXVIII around the base. By the early decades of the 19th century, the candelabrum was in the possession of the Hohenzollern in Berlin. Around 1935 it was sold by the Schloss Museum of Berlin to Mannheimer in Amsterdam, and by 1952 it had passed to the Rijksmuseum.