Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1890 for 8s (10 lire)
A vase, part of the tomb of Piero and Giovanni de'Medici
Andrea del Verrocchio (1435-88)
Old Sacristy of the Church of S. Lorenzo, Florence, Italy
The tomb of Piero (d. 1469) and Giovanni di Cosimo (d. 1463) was erected by Piero's two sons, Lorenzo the Magnificent (1449-92) and Giuliano (1479-1516) following their father's sudden death in 1469. This forms part of the decoration of the marble frame surrounding the tomb. The device of the diamond ring with feathers on the base of the vase is taken up on a larger scale in a repeating pattern on the arched marble frame and a diamond surmounts the sarcophagus itself. The device of the diamond ring with or without feathers is particularly associated with Piero di Cosimo, but also used by his brother, Giovanni.