Effigy of Robert de Ros

Effigy of Robert de Ros

Given by the Trustees of the Crystal Palace in 1938

Original:

Effigy of Robert de Ros (about 1182-1226/7)
Sculptor unknown
Third quarter of the 13th century
Purbeck marble
Temple Church, London, England

His effigy is described by Gough, in 'Sepulchral Monuments', as 'the most elegant of all the figures in the Temple Church, representing a comly young knight in mail, and a flowing mantle with a kind of cowl; his hair neatly curled at the sides; his crown appears shaved. His hands are elevated in a praying posture, and on his left arm is a short, pointed shield charged with three water-bougets. He has on his left side a long sword, and the armour of his legs, which are crossed, has a ridge, or a seam up the front, continued over the knee. At his feet is a lion, and the whole figure measures six feet two inches.'