Purchased from Carlo Campi in 1892 for £34 10s 3d
Unidentified Lombard sculptor
Late 15th century
Formerly the doorway to no. 39 Corso Magenta, Milan, now in the Castello Sforzesco, Milan, Italy
Formerly the doorway to no. 39 Corso Magenta in Milan, this doorway entered the Museo Archeologico in 1892 and was replaced by a copy in the Corso Magenta. The monogram IHS beneath the architrave was probably added during the 17th century, when the doorway was transferred to the Corso Magenta for an unknown location to serve as the entrance to a small road leading to the church of S. Gerolamo, which has since been suppressed.