Purchased from Prospero Mantani in 1906 for £13 18s 10d
Capital with impost block and part of the shaft
Unidentified Ravenna sculptor
Byzantine, before 547
Church of S. Vitale, Ravenna, Italy
The building of S. Vitale was commenced around 525 and was consecrated by Maximian, Bishop of Ravenna (546-56), in 547. It was financed by a local banker, Julianus Argentarius, whose monogram appears on the impost block of this capital. The marble for the columns, capitals and chancel furnishings in S. Vitale was quarried and carved near Constantinople and the decoration of the capitals is analogous to that of the capitals in the church of SS. Sergios and Bacchos (527-36), Constantinople.