Purchased from Signor A. Zarabbini, legal representative of the late Prospero Mantani, in 1906 for £15 1s 8d (350 lire)
Capital with impost block and part of the shaft
Unidentified Ravenna sculptor
Byzantine, before 547
Church of S. Vitale, Ravenna, Italy
The building of S. Vitale was financed by a local banker, Julianus Argentarius. It was commenced around 525 and was consecrated in 547 by Maximian, Bishop of Ravenna (546-56). The monogram of his predecessor Victor (Bishop of Ravenna 537-44), + VICTOR EPISCOPUS, appears on the impost block of this capital. The marble for the columns, capitals and chancel furnishings of S. Vitale was quarried and carved near Constantinople and the decoration of the capitals is analogous to that of the capitals in the church of SS. Sergios and Bacchos (527-36), Constantinople.