This Tudor half-timbered granary and barns are set in deceptively rural surroundings. By 1941, when Robins painted the scene, Chingford had already been an outer suburb of London for over half a century. It would eventually be absorbed into the London Borough of Waltham Forest in 1965. As Robins noted in the inscription, the granary and barns were the last remaining buildings of the Tudor manor of Pimp Hall. The manor went down in culinary history when Henry VIII, dining at a banquet there, jokingly knighted a cut of beef as 'Sir Loin'.